For those of you who don't know, Ryan's been working in Texas and Louisiana since last Wednesday, the same day Ty and I came home from Penticton. The timing was so bad because Ty and I had been gone for eight days, and although we had only planned to be gone for six, we had to extend it because of the snowstorms here, and it's a good thing we did because Highway 2 was closed between Calgary and Red Deer for part of that time. Also, even though we knew Ryan was going to be going to Texas, we thought it would be the Friday after Ty and I got home, but with a day's notice, he was off to Texas. So, we literally saw Ryan for 2 minutes at the Calgary airport after Ty and I landed and Ryan managed to step out of the customs line to say goodbye to us.
The other thing is, and here's the kicker, Ryan may be gone for up to a month. I absolutely could not face parenting a 6-month-old by myself for a month, so I'm going back to Penticton next weekend. My Mom graciously offered to fly to Calgary, then drive with Ty and myself and the girls back to Penticton for an indefinite stay, so that's what we're doing on May 10. My Mom flies in at 9 am and then we'll take off from there. Why am I driving and not just flying as per usual? Because, pathetically, I know, I cannot bear to be without the girls for that long.
In the meantime, I was dreading the two and a half weeks that I was going to be alone with Ty because in the past, when Ryan's been gone to Hinton for work for a week, I found that that week was my limit. However, that was when Ty was 2 months old. Now that he's going to be 6 months old next week, things are a lot different. Now he's more company for me and he's definitely more entertaining. He's rolling once again, after a 6-week hiatus, thanks to Grandma practicing with him for a week straight in Penticton. He's also moved from his single grain boring cereals to yams, then carrots, and tomorrow it's pears. The weather has also improved here so we've had some very nice long walks with Amanda and her two dogs. We had Ryan's Mom and her husband over for lunch one day, and yesterday we went out for lunch with a friend and her baby who's just about two months older than Ty. I try to keep busy every day, and so far I am and the time's flying. I do miss Ryan but we talk on the phone at least twice a day and I think he's enjoying himself down there, despite being away from us. But when Ryan's done work in Texas, he's going to fly to Penticton, then holiday with us there for a few days, then drive back to Red Deer.
All in all, everything is working out just fine and I can't wait to go back to Penticton in eight days!
And the reason for the "Don't Mess With Texas" title is just because I love that saying, and last time Ryan was in Texas he brought me home an oven mitt with that printed on it, along with the Texas state flag!
1 comment:
Whew - road trippin'
Wishing you safe travels!
Post a Comment