Monday, December 19, 2005

Why I Like Red Deer

When people from Red Deer find out that Penticton is my hometown, often the response I get is "Oh, why would you move here?" This isn't why I moved here, but here's something I like about Red Deer that I missed out on growing up in Penticton. I was driving home today after running some errands and it was about 4 pm, so shortly after school had let out. I drove past a middle school, and there in front of the school on an outdoor rink with no boards up yet were three boys playing hockey. How Canadian is that? It made me feel all warm and fuzzy and it felt like a Christmas card. Yeah, we complain about the cold here, but there are no outdoor rinks at schools in Penticton and I think that's something every Canadian kid should experience. That and skating on the Rideau Canal in Ottawa...

No comments: