Tuesday, September 04, 2007

The Recipe For Being A Good Mom?

Ryan and I have been talking about the baby a lot lately. Okay, so maybe it's me talking and Ryan's just going along with it. Most of the conversations revolve around me having zero self-confidence about labour, delivery, motherhood, etc. This one conversation was particularly amusing.
Me: Do you think I'll be a good mom?
Ryan: Yes.
Me: Why?
Ryan: Because you're a good cook.
Me: Huh? Are you kidding me?
Ryan: And you're caring.
Apparently I should dust off some of my cookbooks! Or maybe that's why I'm a good wife... I don't know ~ it's so confusing being married to Ryan sometimes :)
UPDATE: There was an article in the Edmonton Journal this morning on how women who are very anxious during their pregnancy (about labour & delivery, bleeding in early pregnancy, you know, everything I've had) are THREE TIMES more likely to give birth to a preemie. Well, I should be the sole case study for that one! I'm sure my Alberta Health Care Statement of Benefits Paid reads like a novel at this point...

3 comments:

Meng said...

Did I tell you about the time I was at a Christmas party and met this preemie and his mom? The day I met him was his due date but he was 3 months old at the time. He looked fine, but his mom confessed to being worried. I said to her, "Hey, I was a preemie and look at me! I turned out fine!" I said this to her while holding a Pennsylvania Dutch eggnog in one hand and a beer in the other. I probably did little to make her feel better.

And Ryan's right, you'll be a good mom. I never met a good cook who was a bad mother.

Jen said...

First of all- have faith in your body and yourself! Labor and delivery, although filled with unknowns, is one of the most natural, beautiful things you body can do. Relax and listen to your body! It knows what it's doing.

Second- you will be a great Mom. I know this because I know you will love your little guy and I know that everything you do will be done out of love. You won't be a perfect mom, because no one is, but you'll be a perfect mom for YOUR child.

I'll step down now, ;)

Elizabeth said...

Just wanted to wish you peace and comfort. It's so normal to worry. I won't say don't worry, but I will say that you will be a great Mom because of the love you already have for this little person. AND, because you want to be!!