Thursday, January 03, 2008

Baby Clothes Blues & Other Happenings

Ty is growing. And growing. And growing some more. At his 6-week checkup exactly two weeks ago, he was 12 pounds, or in the 90th percentile. He's also very long, especially in his torso. As a result, he's not chunky (at least not yet though Ryan has taken to calling him Ty Two Chins!) but he's rapidly outgrowing his sleepers, onesies, and socks. Part of me is sad about this because he no longer looks brand new, but also because I remember how much each of these items cost and it seems like money's flying out the window and it's going to keep flying! But I'm also proud of how he's grown. Why? Because I have a baby who's breastfeeding and has never received a drop of formula even though he wouldn't latch in the hospital and as such was fed hand-expressed colostrum with a syringe, and who, along with myself, battled thrush in the early weeks and breastfeeding seemed to be doomed; however, we both persevered and now I have this very healthy, happy baby who's thriving. Anyways, back to my story. Ryan was going through Ty's dresser yesterday looking at his onesies and asked if they all fit. I responded, Of course they do; if they're in the dresser, they fit. Truthfully, the neck lines on some of his onesies seem to be almost at his nipples (the effect of the long torso). And his socks? On his 0 to 3 month socks, the heel sits about at his arch. Do I still make him wear them? Yes, but I think that's going to have to stop. Costco sleepers? Yeah, he's outgrown is 3-month ones and is now wearing 6-month Costco sleepers. I'm sorry, but that's ridiculous sizing. He's not that big! My theory is some of these items are made in countries where the babies are malnourished and small and so of course they'd fit these babies up to 3 months. Old Navy? We're now into 3 to 6 month sleepers. He's not even 2 months old, for goodness' sake! But a lot of his 3-month outfits don't fit yet. Sometimes I'm scared to put his bigger clothes on for fear that they'll actually fit now!
In other news...
Yesterday my good friend Megan and her twin sister Shannon came for a visit from Edmonton, and because I pump sometimes (okay, at least once a day) and Ty will take a bottle, Ryan had Ty for the day and I was able to enjoy an outing with the girls. We went to Moxies for lunch, then we went shopping and to Starbucks, then came home to homemade key lime pie, courtesy of Shannon. It was a wonderful day, and, oh, how I love that pump! Twice now this week Ryan's taken Ty so I could have some Lisa time and it absolutely refreshes me, not to mention the quality time Ryan gets with Ty.
Travel update: When Lana, Dave, and Sophie drove back to Burnaby after Christmas and Ryan, Ty, and I flew back home, my parents were devastated, having everyone leave at once and not knowing when they'd see us again. I thought I'd fly out in April with Ty while Ryan's at his company hockey tournament, but then WestJet advertised its Boxing Week sale and travel had to be completed by March 5. The deal was so good from Calgary to Kelowna that Ty and I are heading back to Penticton next month! We're going for six days while Ryan's on call. It works well for us because Ryan works such long days (there was a 22-hour day just before Christmas) that often he doesn't really see us when he's working even though he's home every night. It will be interesting to fly alone with a three-and-a-half-month old... Hopefully he flies as well as he did at 6 weeks, and hopefully he won't be teething then.
Last night, Ty went to bed at 9 pm, got up at 3:30 to nurse, then was down again until 7 this morning! Please don't be a fluke, please don't be a fluke...

3 comments:

Bloggy Mama said...

I wish you well on your trip. You should swing over to Kamloops while you're West. hee hee

Jen said...

Great sleeping Ty!

I know what you mean about the clothes. Josie wears six months stuff and some 9 month already!

karen said...

Can't wait to see you guys!!!!