I've been doing a lot of reading lately on when to start your baby on solids as Ty will be 5 months tomorrow and we're getting close to that time. The general recommendation is 6 months, but as one of my books says, that's not written in stone and every baby is different, and another book, from the Hospital For Sick Kids in Toronto, says any time between 4 and 6 months is appropriate. I've been watching Ty for signs that he's ready to start solids and he was showing some signs: staring at food as we put it in our mouths, able to sit up with little support, and taking an empty spoon in his mouth and not using the extrusion reflex of pushing it out. So, armed with all of this knowledge, Ryan and I bought some organic rice cereal yesterday and mixed it up and fed Ty. He seemed to quite enjoy it, didn't spit it out, opened his mouth each time the spoon came towards him, and ate almost all of the cereal. I think he'll be carrying on with this new milestone, unlike his rolling which he hasn't done again since he did it over and over almost four weeks ago. Sigh. With time...

2 comments:
I love the second picture. It's like he's thinking "It's about time".
So Sophie devoured her dinner tonight. I had to make more rice cereal. Go figure.
Lana
I remember that 36 years ago (GASP)!!!! it was OK to give the babies pablum ASAP and fruit soon after to keep them content and since I wasn't told otherwise, I fed Karen baby Butterscotch Pudding when she was 3 weeks old!! Poor kid.....how her stomach didn't revolt is amazing!! Maybe in a few more years the old ideas will re-surface.......can't wait to see you folks in Aug....Grauntie Lindsey
Post a Comment