No, this isn't a post about Lana and I. It's about this book that I just finished reading last night called, of course, My Sister's Keeper by Jodi Picoult. The premise of the book is that this couple have two children, Jesse and Kate. When Kate is diagnosed with leukemia as a toddler and no suitable bone marrow donor can be found, the parents decide to conceive another child to be a perfect match for Kate. Jump ahead 13 years and this third child, Anna, applies to the courts for medical emancipation from her parents because every time Kate becomes ill, Anna ends up in the hospital donating something.
I was enjoying the book but not loving it. It wasn't a book that I couldn't put down, not that it was terrible or anything. I had about 80 pages left in it so I decided to finish it last night so I could read one of the four books I received for my birthday. Oh my goodness, the last 40 pages were so moving, I cried. I don't cry in books. I cry in real life, I cry watching movies, but I don't cry reading books. It wasn't the ugly cry but flowing tears and that lump in the back of your throat that gets you all choked up. There's a twist at the end that is so unexpected that it caught me off-guard. So while I may not have recommended this book before, knowing what I know now, it's definitely worth the read.
So after I finished My Sister's Keeper, I decided that I needed to read a totally different book so I picked up The Innocent Man, John Grisham's first true crime book and one that Kyoko and Bahman gave me for the birthday. Now there's a book I can't put down already. I started reading it, then turned out the lights to go to sleep, then after about five minutes turned the lights back on again and continued reading. Great pick, guys!
3 comments:
Oh, to have time to read a book...
:)
I read that book last summer and had a hard time putting it down. I don't cry easily but yes, I bawled at this one.
I took your recommendation to heart and went to the library today and it was in! So hopefully I will have time to read it... I'll let you know what I think!
Post a Comment