Monday, August 20, 2007

It's Harvest Time!

The other day, Ryan started picking his garden, and there were so many beans, I didn't know what to do with them all. Then I thought, Well, I'd like to make my own baby food when the time comes so why don't I freeze them? I checked out a few Web sites and found out that beans can be frozen for 12 to 18 months so that would make the timing perfect, and besides, they're just going to be pureed anyway. So this morning, I started my little experiment and I think it's a success!
some of the beans, trimmed, washed, and waiting to be blanched

having their cool water bath after blanching

I chose to tray freeze them so that when I put them in ziplocs, they don't all freeze together in one lump

Here's my little supervisor, Molly May. Actually, I think she's just on the verge of crashing for her morning nap!

4 comments:

karen said...

You should try pickling them. Yum!

Meng said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Meng said...

The cookbook I used for Chimpy's first meals was The Petit Apetit. I recommend it. Those beans look great, can you ship to Oakland?

Anonymous said...

Looks like a lot of work to me!! I used to be domestic like that.....the novelty should soon wear off!! However, little Robinson will fare very well if you make all his food from scratch....waiting patiently for the two Family Ryll additions....Auntie Lindsey