Friday, August 17, 2007

The Name Game

When we decided to find out the gender of our baby, we agreed that we'd share that news with people (how could you not?) but not share the name. We chose a boy's name last year, well before we were expecting, but we could never agree on a girl's name, so really, the decision not to share our baby's name only applied if we were having a boy. And since finding out we were having a boy, we've stuck to our guns and not told anyone his name.
Sidenote: there is one person outside of Ryan & I who knows, and that's Lana. And, no, it's not because I shared it with her ~ well, not really. Last year before either one of us was pregnant we were playing the name game and I said I think if we ever have a boy, his name will be _____. Jump ahead to this year and she remembered. But she hasn't even told Dave what the name is so all's good.
Back to my story. So the other day I was getting a pedicure because it's getting a little tougher to reach my toes to paint them and so it's a good excuse to get a pedicure. The esthetician asked if I knew what I was having, then asked if we'd picked out any names. I have three answers to that question: Yes, but we're not sharing; Ryan Jr. (as a joke); and we haven't decided yet. I gave her the third response, and she told me I like _____ and ____ for a boy. She guessed our son's name! I just sat and smiled but secretly all I could think was how did she know? We aren't naming our son some unique made-up name, but it's also never on any top 10 baby name lists. In Alberta last year, there were way less than 100 boys given this name. And I don't mean top 100, I mean less than 100 in the whole province. Anyways, I was stunned.
But having said that, there is one person who's also correctly guessed the name but doesn't yet know it, and I won't reveal who that person is so they can't go back through their memory bank (as Lana did!) and say A-ha, by George I've got it! And, no, it's not George. But you'll all find out in 10 weeks, if not sooner!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well if it was a girl, I'd know because in Grade 7 you were dead set on "Ivana Bianca".

Elizabeth said...

Ah yes, the name game... we're nine days away from due date and the names that we had decided on are no longer 100%. Oh boy, way to leave it to the last minute!

Anonymous said...

If you could now come up with a boy name for Dave and I that would be great.

Thanks.

PS: You do not even know how hard it is for me not to tell anyone your baby's name (especially my own husband)! But, a promise is a promise! But, no one has offered me any money yet.....

Anonymous said...

By the way, did you notice that when I mailed you those onesies, I addressed the package to "Baby Boy Robinson", so the mail carrier would not even know the name?

I think I should work for the CIA or something.

Anonymous said...

I just guessed it....Larry! For the two most important Larry's in Lisa and Ryan's life...Larry Ryll and Larry Robinson!

Anonymous said...

Yes Sheryl, I'm just so sure it will be Larry, although I know at one time Lisa really liked the name Matthew, but I too will have to wait!!!

Grandma