Friday, October 12, 2007

The Thing About Due Dates

Is that they're kind of relative and subjective and almost don't matter, since the baby's going to come when the baby's ready. The reason I say almost? Well, if you're going to be induced, then your due date becomes very relative. Here's my due date dilemma:
When I do the on-line due date calculator, most sites give me the date as October 24th.
My first two ultrasounds in the first trimester (the most accurate for dating) both came up with October 26th.
My doctor, when he spins the wheel, comes up with October 29th.
And, of course, my 33rd birthday is October 25th (yeah, I just threw that in there, but I do think it would be special to have the baby on my birthday even though no one else seems to).
Now, there's only five days between the first date and the last, but if I have to be induced, whose date do you think they're going to pay attention to? Yeah, not mine.
And now I'm finding that telling people I'm due the last week of October isn't cutting it anymore. It worked in May when October seemed so far away, but now that the last week of October is so close, people expect you to be a little more specific. I should have just told people from the get-go November 15th because maybe that would put off the "because you didn't answer the phone the one time I called I thought you might be in labour" calls that I'm already getting!
So I'm hoping that the baby is born the last week of October, but if I have to be induced, we're looking at the end of the first full week of November. Either way, within a month's time, we're having a baby!
And as a side note, I don't think/feel this baby is coming any time soon. I've made a hair appointment for October 23rd, and I actually think I'll be at the Rebels games on the 26th and 27th. I'm certainly not planning any trips to Calgary or Edmonton at this point, but I'm also not "nesting" and being a hermit. So if I don't answer the phone, chances are I'm just out, and trust me, when the baby's born, we won't be keeping it a secret ~ you WILL be told!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your due date is SO SOON! Crazy!

Lil' Chimpy said...

It's maddening, isn't it?? Isabel's due date fluctuated between July 24th and 27th and the doctor scheduled me early for an anti-stress test on the 28th in case she hadn't arrived yet ("because first babies are often late!" ...whatever...). So I bought tix to see my fave band on the 22nd, then, low and behold, I was in labor on the 19th, had a baby in my arms on the 20th, and was scrambling to sell my concert tix the morning of the 22nd when I got home from the hospital!
I'm keeping my fingers crossed for the 25th - it's an awesome date ;)
~Kristen

Bloggy Mama said...

Ha! I love it. I'm totally brought back in time.. by only a month, wild. Anyhow, I'm thinking of you and praying for you.
P.S. I know that you know that the baby's the one who decides when it's ready, but did you know that it's actually a hormone trigger by the wee one that sets things off? Cool, eh? Something we learned as we were asking Doc what we could do to get things rolling along... nothing (well, that's not entirely true ;) )

Anonymous said...

I thought i would go late too... until i was happily shopping at the Bay one day before my due date and my water broke, but it wasn't 'gushing' so I was in denial and so went on to Safeway where I realized yes in fact my water had broken!

Whatever day it is it will be the perfect day for your baby boy to enter your lives! We cannot wait for that phone call!

karen said...

I can't wait for the phone call either!

Anonymous said...

Andrew was born on his father's 25th birthday, which was kinda cool. Not so cool that I was 10 days overdue, but what can you do? Hope it's sooner than later for you. Good luck! Cari