Every Sunday we're delivered a free local paper, and this past Sunday there was an ad in the volunteer section looking for people to bake cookies for the Loaves and Fishes school lunch program. This is what Loaves and Fishes is:
Loaves and Fishes wants to show the love of Jesus by providing food for the hungry, refuge for the weary and comfort for the broken hearted. Our priorities are building self esteem and confidence, providing a listening ear and prayer for the desperate. Our ultimate goal is to share Jesus, the greatest gift of all.
So I thought I'd give them a call since I enjoy baking and it's to help needy children, a win-win. I called Loaves and Fishes, and basically they just need peanut-free cookies and you can drop them off whenever and there's really no commitment; they're just ever so grateful for the donation. I was so excited I whipped up a batch of brownies, then some oatmeal craisin cookies. After I finished all of my baking and dishes I remembered something: Hey, when I drove past the elementary school a couple of blocks away today, there were no cars there. I wonder if it's spring break? (you can tell I'm totally out of the school loop) So I went on Red Deer Public Schools website, and wouldn't you know it, spring break! Sigh. Well, Ryan will eat the brownies and Ty can have some of the cookies, and I'll try again next week when school's back in session!
So I thought I'd give them a call since I enjoy baking and it's to help needy children, a win-win. I called Loaves and Fishes, and basically they just need peanut-free cookies and you can drop them off whenever and there's really no commitment; they're just ever so grateful for the donation. I was so excited I whipped up a batch of brownies, then some oatmeal craisin cookies. After I finished all of my baking and dishes I remembered something: Hey, when I drove past the elementary school a couple of blocks away today, there were no cars there. I wonder if it's spring break? (you can tell I'm totally out of the school loop) So I went on Red Deer Public Schools website, and wouldn't you know it, spring break! Sigh. Well, Ryan will eat the brownies and Ty can have some of the cookies, and I'll try again next week when school's back in session!
2 comments:
That's such a great way to volunteer! Good for you.
Heh. Way to help out. Also, you could send some to me;)
Post a Comment