Wednesday, March 04, 2009

My Son the Picky Eater

When Ty started eating solids, we could just about feed him anything pureed and he'd eat it. He was not choosy about his food, probably just so happy to have something to ingest other than breast milk and formula. Cereals, fruits, veggies, and eventually pureed meat/veggie mixtures that I made him, they were all good.
Enter teeth and true solids. Ty has become what I consider to be a picky eater (although that probably isn't fair to him; he's probably a typical toddler). Cereals, oatmeal, toast, waffles, muffins (you get the picture) are all still good. Pasta's fine. Fruits, he's pretty good. He won't eat bananas if they get too ripe, but neither will I. Canned peaches are hit and miss so if they're a miss, they go in a smoothie. He's started eating raisins, craisins, and dried berries and he loves them. Milk, cheese, and yogurt are favourites. He's become a pretty picky veggie eater, with zucchini being a favourite and at the top of the list and cooked carrots being at the bottom of the list. He'll eat sweet potatoes, yams, edamame, the odd sugar snap pea...
But my main issue is that this child will. not. eat. meat! It's driving me nuts! I've tried cooked chicken breast and he didn't like it. Fine, it's probably the texture, I thought. But I've tried ground chicken/turkey and ground beef and there's no way. I've tried over and over and over and each time it's the same ~ makes a face, and he doesn't spit it out but he opens his mouth and lets it fall off his tongue. Nice. And he won't eat eggs either. I've been worried about his protein intake but I think he gets enough from his milk and hopefully cheese and other sources to make up for his hatred for meat.
But my other issue is that I end up cooking separately for him because he's so picky, so then I feel like I'm enabling the pickiness and it's this endless cycle. I'm holding out hope that as he matures, so will his palate!

ps. I caught him 2x last week with the girls' crunchies in his mouth...

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I was a terribly picky eater when I was a child....loved chicken and liver....that's it!! Luckily, my girls ate just about anything....I'm sure that Ty will eventually eat meat when he's hungry enough...Crunchies are good too , just ask Molly and Sami!!