Sunday, December 17, 2006

Crab Filled Appetizer Loaf

Tonight Ryan and I hosted his family's Christmas get-together, and for an appy, I made this loaf. It's from a cookbook called For the Breast of Friends (it helps fund breast cancer research) that my Auntie Lindsey gave me for a wedding shower gift. The only advice I have is don't count the calories or fat, just count the times you say, Oh, this sure is delicious!
two 8 ounce packages cream cheese (I used one regular, one light)
1 cup chopped green onions
1 cup mayonnaise (I used light)
2 tsp fresh dill
1 tin crab meat
1 cup cheddar cheese
1/2 cup real bacon bits
1 loaf French bread
Mix all ingredients (KitchenAid works well). Slice the top off of the French bread loaf; hollow out a cavity in the loaf large enough to hold the mixture. Fill cavity with crab mixture. Cover with the top you had sliced off. Wrap with foil and bake at 350 for 1 1/2 hours. Use bread pieces removed from the loaf for dipping.
* I thought 1 1/2 hours sounded too long, but I checked it after an hour and it wasn't thoroughly heated through yet so it does take 1 1/2 hours.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

That sounds AMAZING!

Carla said...

Sounds yummy! I made one similar once that had spinach in it as well as many of those ingredients... like a baked spinach dip, but I'm sure it had crab too. Also yummy!