- all of our flights were on time, and our flight from Salt Lake City to Las Vegas was a half hour early
- we then had to wait for about a half hour to collect our luggage
- wearing t-shirts and fleeces at the end of December
- mind you, we did the same thing in Red Deer today
- seeing palm trees again
- the lights of The Strip
- not having Christmas dinner and it not even bothering me
- in fact, we didn't even have dinner Christmas night
- we shopped and gambled Christmas Day
- oh, yes, the stores were all open on The Strip Christmas Day
- the slightly depressing nature of hearing Celine Dion sing Christmas carols (not live, over the sound system) whilst competing with the constant "ding, ding ding" of the slots
- hitting an Eddie Bauer store closing sale
- having the sales guy tell me, "You sure got some good deals, missy"
- your dollar goes a long way when everything is 25 to 50 percent off
- hitting awesome Bath & Body Works sales
- of course the downside of that was my luggage was 10 pounds overweight when flying home so we quickly had to transfer some goods from my suitcase to Ryan's carry-on to avoid paying a $25 US penalty
- staying in a much nicer hotel this time (Treasure Island) than last time (the Excalibur)
- having a Starbucks on the casino level of our hotel
- I half-expect to go downstairs at home and be able to order a tangerine frapp (a new fave)
- seeing Jerry Seinfeld live
- he performed for almost an hour and a half
- seeing Cirque du Soleil's Mystere
- I watched the entire performance with sweaty palms and on the verge of a panic attack
- why, you ask?
- for one, the ability of one man to stand and balance another man standing ON HIS HEAD is pretty impressive
- the trapeze portion was also heart-stopping
- we tried to get tix to Cirque's O show but it was sold out until January
- next time
- not being a gambler myself, coming home with $420 US off slot winnings was exciting
- helps pay for aforementioned shopping
- know your limit and stay within it!
- the wind warnings and gusts the last day and a half were warranted
- seeing a couple get married on the Venetian canals was kind of cool
- I think I took the most pictures of the lions at MGM Grand and the tigers at The Mirage
- pictures to come
- hey, cats are cats!
- getting off the plane in Calgary, proceeding straight to a customs agent because there were no lines yet, getting our luggage almost straight-away, and leaving the airport within about 15 minutes of de-planing
- the absolute worst part of the trip and one of the longest days of my life?
- the day we leave, we have to get up at 5 am
- I was awake most of the night with a stomach ache
- the next parts aren't pleasant
- started throwing up in our hotel room at about 5:30
- felt better
- sit around the Las Vegas airport for about 2 hours because you have to be there so early to go through security, no liquids in your carry-on, take off your shoes, blah, blah, blah
- just as they announce our section of the plane can board, I look at Ryan and tell him I'm going to be sick, I have to go
- I hurry down the main corridor of the departures terminal of Maccaran to get to the washroom
- I don't make it
- right in the hallway
- but I'm not done so I continue on into the washroom and get into the stall but don't even have time to close the door behind me because it's still coming up
- I had to tell myself I'll never see these people again
- I make it back to the gate and am able to board (of course Ryan and I are about the last to board at this point)
- I then sob in the plane because I'm so humiliated
- I sleep through the flight, then just as we're starting to descent, my stomach wants to ascent and I start dry-heaving
- because we're descending, I can't take my seat belt off to go to the washroom
- yeah, air sickness bag
- we then had a 4-hour layover in Salt Lake City
- all I wanted was to be in my bed
- I wasn't sick again, but was in bed by 8 that night
- tummy's still a little tender but at least I can eat now
- kind of a crappy way to end off a great trip
- well, not kind of, IT WAS
- but in the end, I can survive Christmas without my family and without tears, but I sure did miss them
- maybe we can all go to Las Vegas next year for Christmas??
Sunday, December 31, 2006
Las Vegas Highlights, and some Lowlights
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
5 comments:
Sounds like a wonderful holiday.....)except for the puking!!)and coming home with $$$$ makes it that much more exciting. I'm trying to get Karen & Renato to go there for a few days.
Happy New Year.......Auntie Lindsey
It sounds like a great trip! Sorry it ended so poorly!
Poor Lisa! Sounds like a great trip until the puking. Though that added some flair :)
There must be nothing worse than barfing somewhere other than the confines of your own home. Vegas sounds like fun otherwise. Steve and I hope to make it there this Oct for our 10th anniversary.
Oh Lisa, what a terrible way to end the trip! I feel for you. Yuck!
Otherwise sounds like you had a great trip and New Years -- I had fun catching up on your blog!
Post a Comment