Wednesday, December 20, 2006

The Good With the Bad or the Bad With the Good?

Yesterday was Ryan's last day of days off and we made the most of spending the day together. Ryan works two weeks on, one week off, and while he's not away for the two weeks when he's at work, he does work really long days, at least 12-hour days if he's out on location, so days off are important quality time.
We didn't get going until about noon, so we ran one errand then decided to go out for lunch. Ryan's lived and worked in few different countries and one of those places was Western Siberia for four years, and it just so happens that a new restaurant opened in Red Deer called Cafe Siberia so we decided to go there for lunch. The food was excellent and very filling, and Ryan had the opportunity to speak Russian to the staff there, which for some reason always makes me smile and blush when Ryan speaks Russian.
After lunch we stopped at Canadian Tire because we needed to purchase some ice skates for me. In Red Deer, there's over 30 outdoor skating rinks, and there's one area called Bower Ponds which is a really big recreational area that freezes over in the winter and lots of people go skating there. Ryan plays hockey so he already has skates but I didn't. That is until yesterday. I got a pair of women's sport skates designed by Sale and Pelletier. Jamie Sale's dad is our neighbour and wired our basement so I think I have an in to get my skates autographed, no? After we left Canadian Tire, Ryan took my skates to have them sharpened so now they're ready to go, but am I? I'll need lots of padding, or at the very least one of those bars that kids push. I do know how to skate and rollerblade, but it's been eons since I was on ice skates.
The bad part of the day was that Ryan and I both feel like we're getting colds and we leave for Las Vegas in four sleeps. To nip this in the bud, we went to London Drugs and I bought some Cold-FX. We've never used it before, but I'll be damned if I'm sick whilst on vacation like I was last year. So far, so good. I took the nine (yes, nine) pills that I was supposed to yesterday, and today I'll take six. I'm feeling okay today, and I'm not burning thru the tissues like I was yesterday. If Don Cherry uses it, it has to be good, right?
And today I'm putting the final touches on two transcripts that I'm going to send out before the holidays, then that will be it for editing and proofreading until we get back. I think I have to work at the office tomorrow, but that's it until January. Yay! The past two months have been crazy busy at work so I'm looking forward to the break; that is, with the help of my Cold-FX!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Matthew swears by Cold-FX. I haven't tried it yet (pregnant, then nursing).

We have a pharmacist friend, and she's the one who put us onto it :)

Anonymous said...

I think you should be a rebel and take TEN Cold-FX a day.

Has anyone ever OD'd on Cold FX before?
On second thought, stick with nine a day. Better to be safe than sorry!

Being a teacher and being exposed to 28 sniffling kids, I have tried COLD FX. Maybe I didn't take the recommended dosage and only took eight a day, but I can't say the stuff works miracles. Hopefully if you keep up the nine a day habit you'll have better luck!

Your sister

Anonymous said...

I've had good luck with Cold-FX. People breathe on me all day and I rarely get sick. If you really want to go all out I recommend the Shoppers Drug Mart brand (Life?) Zinc lozenges in the berry flavour.

Anonymous said...

I liked the "so I think I have an in to get my skates autographed, no?"...the "no" at the end sounded very Russian. It must be rubbing off on you!

Anonymous said...

Better pack your "snuggies" for your trip to Vegas......it's not like last winter...temps about 10-15 C. There was a snowstorm the other day but I think all of it melted. Have a wonderful time though.....it's not as if you have to spend lots of time outside!!! Auntie Lindsey

karen said...

Merry Christmas, Lisa and Ryan. Hope you guys have a great holiday with fantastic weather!