Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Happy Valentine's Day


Remember when we were kids and Valentine's Day meant that in the afternoon at school, we'd have a Valentine's party and we'd go around the class and pass out Valentine's cards and put them in the envelopes or boxes we had decorated earlier in the week? And there'd always be food at the party; you know, an arrangement of heart-decorated cupcakes and sugar cookies and popcorn and chips. I loved those parties!
And now that we're older, Valentine's takes on a different meaning. If you're female and you're wondering what to get your love, your options are kind of limited unless you're really creative: nothing, chocolates, or something he'd really like, i.e., something lacy and skimpy that probably wouldn't stay on too long anyways. If you're male, then there's all sorts of pressure. Are roses too cheesy, is jewelry too much, and will she figure it out if I get her something lacy and skimpy?
When you're married, things change again. The pressure's kind of off because, chances are, this isn't your first Valentine's together so you have a gift history. If I remember correctly, my first Valentine's with Ryan was roses, and then I think it's been roses ever since, plus he gave me a watch last year. I bought Ryan chocolates this year, but it's kind of a selfish gift. You see, I want to eat some of them so I bought the highest quality chocolates I could get my hands on. But my true love will have to wait because he's in Edson until tonight.
And what will Ryan give me? I was teasing him that since he's been on the road constantly for over a week, my gift would probably come from a gas station; in fact, he spent $63 at the UFA on his way up to Edson yesterday so I told him there's my evidence!
But what do I really want? Nothing. I have almost everything I've ever wanted in life. To be blessed with a happy marriage and a happy home is something you can't take for granted, and I don't. I'm grateful every day for Ryan and sometimes can't believe that we found our way to one another (with some help from Gary and Dorothy!) Do I believe in soul mates? Not really. But I do believe in happy endings and I have mine!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Happy Valentines Day to both of you

Anonymous said...

Funny how some things never change... today my kids passed out thier Valentines and put them into bags that they decorated earlier in the week. Didn't do the big partay though... just some wholesome Bingo fun with a few sweets mixed in. Funny story though from a grade five teacher. After school he showed me a card he got from a girl in his class that read "To the kind of man I love..... Valentine's Day is so much sweeter because of you"! I don't think she quite got the context! We all had a really good laugh on that one!

Happy Valentine's Day!

Lana

Anonymous said...

Hi Lisa: Your story almost made my cry. What a lot of truth in that.
Love to both, Mom

Anonymous said...

Also, I heard on the radio yesterday that about 80% of Valentine's Day gifts are purchased from gas stations.
How romantic!

karen said...

That was a nice post, Lisa, and so true!

I loved those parties too.

I got a Valentine's Iced Capp for Trav, how romantic is that?!? He really liked it -- can you tell we've been together a while? :)