Yesterday I was working at a law firm downtown (which I'll abbreviate SWS), doing a discovery involving a pedestrian/motor vehicle accident. The morning was fine, then after lunch the pedestrian started to explain the accident and her injuries (which were horrendous) and her surgeries and there were pictures and... well, if you know me, you know where this is leading. I was feeling really hot and getting a little bit anxious listening to all of this so at one point I stopped and asked to get a glass of water. Nobody seemed concerned so this was good because I wanted everything to be fine. So we start again, and now I'm getting to the point where I don't feel I have any control over my fingers and they're just dangling over my shorthand machine. I stopped the proceedings, said I needed to go get some fresh air, and left SWS and got into their elevator. A legal assistant got on with me, and we were headed from the sixth floor to the main floor, but then the elevator stopped on the second floor and all I could think was don't stop, don't stop, I need to get outside. And that's the last thing I remember. I have never fainted from a standing position, but I guess I completely fell over and landed on my right side with my shoulder and my head taking the brunt of the fall. When I did come to, the legal assistant was on the phone with 911, and then I don't remember anything again until I was back in SWS answering the paramedics' questions. I think the paramedics measured my blood sugar because I have a pin prick and sore finger, and I assume they took my blood pressure, although I have no memory of either. When the paramedics were questioning me, I was disoriented and couldn't tell them the year (2005 or 2006 was my answer), and when they asked me the date, I said I know it's not October 25th yet because I haven't had my birthday. They informed me it was October 30th and I said, That's right, my husband was gone for my birthday. They gave me the option of going to the hospital, which I declined, and instead Cheryl came and picked me up, then later that evening Cheryl and Trevor went back downtown to bring my truck home. Last night I was feeling a bit nauseous, had a very bad headache, and couldn't lay on my right side because my shoulder and the side of my hurt so much. Today I'm feeling better, just a little head "tenderness", I guess you could say, but I'll bounce back. Just keep your surgery stories to yourselves :)
Tuesday, October 31, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
8 comments:
Hi Lisa: Sorry I laughed so hard, but this is typical for you. I wonder when you will stop doing medical cases - they certainly are not for you!!!
Love your mean Mommy
I fainted in the old Super Valu the summer we moved here. I hit my head on the way down & woke up in the hospital with a concussion.
So...I understand how disoriented you would feel. But it sounds like this is a normal thing for you?
:)
Hi Lisa, This is Susan, your mom's work friend. Just to let you know, I understand how it feels to be laughed at by your mom so you have my support any sympathy. She seems to get a real laugh about the fact that Julianne is joining a guinea pig club . . .?? do you think that's funny?? Anyways, I hope you are feeling okay,no more medical cases!!
So there I was, lying on the operating table, all cut open and stuff. My innards were laying all over the place, and blood was everywhere . . . Oh, sorry Lisa!
I have fainted a couple of times over the years, but it mostly takes a bill in the mail to do it.
Your mom actually called me from work today to tell me to check your blog!!
Great story though-- I had a chuckle too -- I think you should really opt out of all medical cases if that's possible!! :)
That really takes me back to the Lisa I know and love!!
so I have to share. Trudy told me about your fainting and I said immediately, Is she pregnant? And Trudy says, It was a medical. Then I laughed. Sorry, we both know I would have also fainted. Must be tough to have two out of four reporters that are fainters. Damn car accidents
yeah, we'll just put that rumour to rest ~ NOT PREGNANT!!
I have also fainted a couple times at work (and there has been no blood involved) and the first question both times was "Are you Pregnant?".
I told them no, but my mom wishes I were:)
Lana
Post a Comment